Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Feeling Grateful . . .

The photo, below, was taken just minutes before I took a bad turn on a fairly steep hairpin curve on a beautiful mountain trail and tipped over on the ATV. The ATV rolled over me (snap, crackle, pop) and then rolled a few more times, coming to rest straddling a big log. I laid in the dirt for a few seconds assessing the damage (my body, not the ATV) and was relieved to discover that I could move my feet (yes!), hands (oh yeah!), and could even sit up (joy!) and stand up (hallelujah!). I was vaguely aware of the fact that I was injured in some fashion but I was so grateful to be 1.alive and 2. not paralyzed that I'm not sure if I was crying for joy or crying because I was so thoroughly terrorized. Probably some of both. Anyhoo . . . after being driven out on another ATV (very slowly over bumpy ATV trails), and spending four hours in emergency at a great little hospital in Montpelier, Idaho, it was determined that I had two cracked ribs and that the transverse processes on two of my vertebrae were also cracked. Sigh. There's no fool like an old fool.
Here's the thing . . . we were having an absolutely glorious afternoon riding ATV's with Rachel's parents and some friends of theirs up in the mountains near Paris, Idaho. The Taylors have rennovated and remodeled an old farm house in Paris (absolutely beautiful place) and we were staying the week-end with them along with Scott and Rachel. The afternoon was gorgeous, the fall foliage breath-taking and the company absolutely delightful. We were on our last trail of the afternoon when I decided to have a wrestling match with my ATV. After we done at the hospital, we went back to the Taylors to stay the night . . . I just didn't feel up to a three hour ride home on winding canyon roads AND I just couldn't stand the thought of leaving that beautiful old farmhouse! We drove back on Sunday night and I've been laying pretty low ever since. Thanks to my family for all the grocery shopping, cooking and cleaning . . . you've been absolutely great. Thanks Brent, for all your tender loving care, especially all that laundry folding, errand running and getting me on and off the toilet (TMI?)

Reva Taylor took this photo of Brent and I and then told us to take off our sunglasses so she could get . . .
This photo. We didn't really intend to be color coordinated, by the way. We just both have green shirts that we love to wear!
The foliage was a little faded from what it had been but it was still fantastic.
Our fun hosts in Paris, Idaho, Craig and Reva Taylor. Thanks for a wonderful week-end! Honest . . . it was absolutely wonderful, even with the spill on the ATV.
This is Doug, Craig and Reva's neighbor and friend. He was gracious enough to spend his Saturday afternoon showing us around all the beautiful trails in the mountains near his home. He kept a very cool head and got everyone organized to get me out as quickly as possible. Thanks Doug.
Meanwhile back at the ranch . . .everyone combined forces to make two yummy Dutch apple pies for Rachel's and Reva's birthdays on Sunday. The recipe is one I've had for years . . . got it from a cousin of Brent's. You bake the pie in a paper sack. I'd be happy to share the recipe. We made it gluten free because both Reva and Rach are gluten intolerant. The pie works up well either way.
So, moving on. Look who's in town . . . the Minnesota Five! We're in Park City staying at our timeshare condo for a few days.
Noah, Mike, Lucy and Abbie cheesin' it up for the camera.
What would a visit from the Minnesota Five be without an afternoon of making cuppie cakes? Grandma is moving slowly these days so Abbie and Landon really jumped in and did a lot of it. Landon is stirring up the batter and Abbie is putting the cupcake papers in the pans.
We had a couple of extra halloween cupcake papers and Abbie and Landon thought they would make fine hats.
The cupcake batter was supposed to make 24 cupcakes but we only ended up with enough for 21. Hmmmm? Where do you suppose all that batter got to?
But, of course!
Great job of filling up the cupcake papers Abbie and Landon.

Time to spread the gooey chocolate frosting on all those cupcakes.
Finishing touch . . . ghosts, jack0lanterns, witches and frankensteins.
A great afternoon's work!
Abbie liked the pumpkins best.
Landon was partial to the ghosts.
I took these photos from our condo window. Everyone headed up for a ride on the Alpine slide (except poor old crippled me). So, I guess there's a few things that I can't do but in some ways it's been nice to just sit by and watch everyone take care of the cooking and cleaning while I get to read and watch movies with my adorable grandkids! Til next time . . .

6 comments:

Bear of Very Little Brain said...

Oh for joy a post from you! You KNEW I'd be here and loving these pics of the kids, all of them, yours, mine and ours! And here's full disclosure on the accident and oooohs and aaaaahs for beautiful nature and the fun of family togetherness at the condo. It's a newsy bit, and I'm glad you were up (literally) to it! Love you so, Nat

Janel said...

Oh Aunt Sandra so sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you recover fast!! I missed seeing you when I was there in September (we always seem to miss each other). Hopefully, I'll plan it better next time.

Looks like you enjoyed your grandkiddos. I can't believe how big their getting.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the poem you wrote. It was really fun for me to imagine you in the same stage of life as me (except you had a couple more kiddos). The poem really sums it all up. Love you!!!

Hale-O There said...

I am glad you're on the mend from the "ATV wrestling match"
PC was a lot of fun the days we were able to come up. Thanks for the great dinners and alpine slide ride!

patti said...

SANDRA! I hope your cracked ribs are healing and you're taking it easy. I'm starting to worry about you Hales....Jordan, Lucy, Laura, and now you too! Please try and stay alive. I like you guys too much.

Stefanie Hathaway said...

Wow, I didn't even see this post. Are YOU okay? Have you recovered from the ATV accident by now? Well, I just remembered I didn't give you an update on john, send me your email address to stefaniehathaway@gmail.com and I'll give you the scoop. Much love!

كل شيء said...




شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة قص وازالة وتنسيق الاشجار بالرياض
شركة تعقيم بالرياض
شركة قص اشجار بالرياض
شركة قص اشجار بالرياض
فني تركيب ستلايت بالرياض
فني تركيب ستلايت بالرياض
فني تركيب ستلايت بجدة
شركة عزل فوم بالرياض
فنى تركيب ستلايت بالرياض