Sunday, February 12, 2012

Exorcising the February from my soul

FEBRUARY . . . UGH! The above photo about sums up how I've been feeling. Pathetic, eh?
These two photos are here to illustrate the story I've written below. If I had any idea how to place the photos in the exact spot of the story that they refer to, I would do so!

I've sat down at this computer several times with the intention of posting something . . . anything! I even spent an hour or so composing a post that I'd titled "The Winds of Change". It spoke of all the sad and difficult changes that have taken place in my family and extended family in the past few weeks . . . and how the wind blew, whistled and roared through all of those changes . . . the Centerville shingle-ripping winds, the biting cold Atlanta winds and the Chinook winds of southern Alberta. I looked back over what I had written and decided that it sounded like something out of a Hemingway novel. Melancholy . . . lots of angst. And that just wouldn't do. Just because I have February in my soul doesn't mean that I have to inflict it on whoever stumbles onto my blog. People need to laugh in February. I need to laugh in February. So, I'll work on exorcising the February out of my soul on my own time and share a "life with Brent Hale" story with you.

When Brent sets his mind to a project, he generally likes to just hit it hard (sometimes literally) and get it done. If there's no one around to help him, he'll just proceed to do super human things on his own. For instance, I've seen him haul two heavy water heater tanks downstairs and install them on his own. I've also seen him put an entire hot tub up on jacks to do some repairs underneath. Those of you who know him, realize that he does this with a 5' 6" and, maybe, 140 lb. frame.
About ten years ago, not long after we'd moved into our present home, we were invited by our friends, the Mays, to spend some time up at their cabin near Heber City during UEA week-end. We owned a couple of ATV's at the time (we now have one . . . please refer to my blog post from October 2010) and we decided we would haul them to the cabin. I was in charge of a few of the meals for the week-end so I pulled some food together from my kitchen and then headed down to our garden boxes, on the south side of our home, to pick some late season tomatoes and peppers. Brent was busying himself pulling together our "gear" (a term that I don't believe I had used in my entire life until I married my mountain man) and hauling it out of the lower garage on the north side of our home. I don't think I was in the garden for more than five or ten minutes. When I walked into my house (from the back) with my harvest of early fall produce, I met Brent coming from the front of the house. He was obviously VERY upset and had that look on his face that always filled me with a feeling of dread. He said (loudly) "Didn't you hear me calling for you?! Where have you been?" to which I replied "Well, no, I didn't hear you calling. I've been over in the garden picking tomatoes. " Then, full well knowing the answer, I asked "Is something wrong?" "YES!" he replied, "I just wrecked my car!"

Sandra : Wrecked your car? You didn't go anywhere. How did you wreck your car?

Brent: Just come out here and look.

I walked out front with him and he stood on the front porch, looking at his feet and pointing across the street. I couldn't believe my eyes. His green Explorer was plowed headlong into a backhoe that was parked across the street. It was pretty crumpled up in front and the backhoe was looking pretty afflicted also. (The backhoe was parked there because our neighbors to the south were still in the process of building their home). Once again I asked Brent how he'd managed to run his green Explorer into the backhoe.

Brent: (petulantly) That's not all . . . there's more.

Sandra: Whaddaya mean there's more? An Explorer plowed into a backhoe isn't enough?

Brent: (Not patiently) Come over here and look at this.

I obediently followed Brent to the north side of our property where the main driveway overlooks the driveway that slopes down to our lower garage. It also overlooks our neighbor's backyard which, at the time, had a new turtle turf lawn which was growing from seed. It's called turtle turf because it grows EXCEEDINGLY slowly. Turtle turf has to be babied along when it's first planted i.e. it has to be HAND weeded when it's in the establishment phase. This I know because WE ALSO had made the mistake of planting turtle turf. Anyway, in the middle of the Smoot's new turtle turf lawn was our big ATV trailer (with both ATV's loaded on it). The grass between the edge of the driveway, all the way to the trailer had large clods pulled out at regular intervals. The tongue of the trailer was pointed in our direction.

Sandra: How in the world did you do THAT?

Brent: (Long sigh) I needed to hook the trailer up to my Explorer and I couldn't find you to help me (subtle communication here that this whole fiasco was probably MY fault) so I did it myself (please refer to paragraph two). I had the trailer parked on the driveway (the sloped one) with wood blocks behind the rear wheels to keep it from rolling back. I backed the Explorer down the driveway to hitch up the trailer. I managed to get the trailer tongue over the hitch but I couldn't get it to drop all the way in place because of the slope of the driveway (or something like that). I figured if I pulled forward just a little that it would drop down tight and I could lock it. So I did (pull forward just a little) but instead of dropping in place, the whole trailer tongue popped up in the air and the trailer started rolling backwards. I was feeling pretty relieved that I'd put those wooden blocks behind the wheels, until I saw the trailer go "bump bump" over the blocks and keep on rolling (towards our boat which was parked at the bottom of the sloped driveway). PANIC!!!

Now I'd like to mention, before I go on with this story, that if I HAD been there, Brent probably would have been yelling at me to throw my body between the boat and the trailer (medical bills cheaper than a new boat?) in the same fashion that, in a moment of panic in past instances, he had yelled at me to throw my body between the boat and the dock or the boat and the houseboat or whatever the "fiasco of the day" called for. Just sayin'. Moving along . . .

Brent: The trailer was heading straight for the boat so, in one herculean move (please refer again to paragraph two), I opened the door to the car, threw the Explorer into park (or not), ran back to the rolling trailer and CHICKEN KICKED (think Karate Kid) the tongue of the trailer to change it's course of direction. Which it did. It rolled across the Smoot's new grass with the tongue bobbing up and down and grabbing huge clods of the tender turtle turf each time it descended. It finally came to rest in the middle of the lawn. With my heart pounding out of my chest I took stock of the situation. The trailer had missed the boat and the big basket ball standard between our place and the Smoot's place. No small children had been run over and other than the grass, which I would offer to reseed, no serious harm had been done. I was walking back up the driveway, congratulating myself on saving the day with my quick thinking, when I realized that the Explorer was gone. When I crested the top of the drive-way, there it was plowed into the backhoe. I guess I didn't actually move it out of "drive"(Brent has always been an amazingly deductive thinker).

We stood together, looking out over the destruction that had all happened in, probably, less than two minutes. All of his bark gone, Brent was looking clearly defeated and I was working REALLY hard to stifle a serious bout of laughter! He lamented, "I'm starting to get really worried about myself as I'm getting older, honey. It seems like this kind of stuff is happening a lot, lately". I replied (in a not- well-thought-out attempt to comfort him) , "Oh honey. This isn't about getting older . . . you've been doing stupid stuff like this ever since I've known you". Okay, maybe not so sensitive but I did get a little grin out of him!

It, of course, fell to me to call our always helpful insurance agent (I'm serious about this. Ty Whelan has been VERY helpful to us through all of our property damage fiascoes over the years) and report this unfortunate incident. Back in those days, we chatted fairly regularly since I had several teen-aged drivers, ATV's and a husband who was always in a huge hurry to get some project done! Whatever. I explained the situation and asked him what the insurance would cover. He paused for a moment, sighed and said, "I don't know, Sandy (he always called me Sandy), there just isn't a precedent for this one. Let me get back to you." What? No precedent for an accident involving a Ford Explorer (which we actually called, the Exploder), a flatbed trailer, two ATV's, a backhoe, almost a boat and a new turtle turf lawn? Imagine that.

I've kicked myself many times, over the years, for not getting a single shred of photographic evidence of this whole incident. I am planning to include, in this post, a couple of photos that I just took today, to give you an idea of the terrain that I'm talking about (looking down driveway to Smoot's lawn, looking from top of driveway to the other side of the cul-de-sac. You'll just have to picture the trailer on the lawn and the Explorer plowed into the backhoe, all on your own.

Remind me some time to tell you the story about Brent wheel-barrowing a large load of broken cement to the side of our house or the ever popular "Brent relights the new water-heater" story! Happy Valentine's Day honey! My life would be so boring without you! Til next time.

6 comments:

Elena Loo said...

Sandra! I am in TEARS! Laughing!!
Of course its "our" fault that we couldn't hear them! :)
And the insurance agent! And imagining Brents face! Oh man... tears streaming down my face in laughter!
Thanks for brightening up my February!

The Walkers said...

Oh mom. How many times have I heard this story, yet you managed to make me cry with laughter too. You have a way of stating things that is so darn funny. I love it. Keep documenting the "classics". You certainly brightened my February today.

Steve and Kalli said...

I definitely needed to read this story today! I will never EVER tire of the Famous Brent Hale stories :)

Bear of Very Little Brain said...

I barked with laughter and dragged Kent in from the living room from behind his newspaper to listen to a whole paragraph and then the "Oh honey. This isn't about getting older . . . you've been doing stupid stuff like this ever since I've known you" comment. Every comedienne IS one because she's a funny kind of girl (he he), but she's gotta have good material - and boy-howdy you DO have! Made my day this morning. Lots of love to you, love those kids and grands! ;)

Bear of Very Little Brain said...

Oooh, and sorry I didn't jump on this the day your wrote it. I DO look for a post most every day. I'm still a fan! Love you so... :)

Annie Hale said...

Mom, that was a much needed laugh I just had! This is the most hilarious story, I don't care how many times I've heard it. I love that papa of mine. Even when he's in "the zone." Well... more like when he comes out of it. Thank you for this gem of a post.