Friday, April 1, 2011

Beautiful Music

I have been in love with the beautiful acoustic hymn arrangements of Mark Geslison and Geoff Groberg for a long time and want to share their music with you, my fellow blog browsers. Years ago I picked up a copy of a C.D. called "Be Still My Soul" by this musical duo and found it to be peaceful, joyful and inspirational. I love their folksy renditions of many of our traditional hymns played on a diversity of instruments such as the mandolin, guitar, piano, flute, dulcimer, violin, bohran, penny-whistle, etc. They've made several C.D.'s over the past several years and you can listen to any of them in their entirety online at www.MothersDayCDs.com. The presenting C.D. when you get into this address is their newest called "Beautiful Savior" and if you'll click on "Music" at the top of the page it will take you to a page with the rest of their C.D.'s. They have Celtic music, old-time hymns and folk music, C.D.'s especially for missionaries, etc. Also, if you'll click on "About" at the top of this site, you'll see a short write-up about each of these wonderful musicians. They offer a special deal to Bishops who are looking for new gift ideas for the sisters in their wards for Mother's Day. A bulk order of 200 C.D.s will only cost 1.99 per C.D. A bulk order of 100-199 C.D.s is 2.19 per C.D. 50-99 C.D.s is 2.49 per C.D. I have happily purchased their C.D.s from Seagull Book or Deseret Book for sixteen dollars per C.D. and I've purchased many to give as gifts, so I think this is a kicking deal. I've passed this information on to my Bishop. I'd love to see our ward do this because I'd love to see this music find it's way into lots more homes. My kids were actually very open to listening to this music when they were teen-agers when they weren't so open to the Tabernacle Choir (which, I love, by the way). My girls, in particular, love the music of Geslison and Groberg and have found it to be very uplifting and comforting in their lives. On the back of their latest C.D., they've written the following: "We are all fortunate to be the recipients of a very special and rich tradition of music. The beautiful hymns that we enjoy were conceived, for the most part, by unpretentious, "salt of the earth" composers from past centuries. Their inspired melodies have endured the test of time. We hope our acoustic arrangements of these melodies will continue to inspire, comfort, and praise God as the original composers intended. And we hope they will bring a measure of joy to you and your family." They certainly have to my family. Til next time.

1 comment:

Haley Hale said...

I love, love, LOVE Geslison and Groberg (and I have YOU to thank for introducing me to it!). I remember listening to it on a fall drive on the Nebo Loop that Aaron and I took with your family when we were first married. I was so homesick, and trying to find a way to love Utah, and that trip did it for me. I think that you had the "For the Beauty of the Earth" cd playing (with the "Nauvoo" song) during the drive. The music, combined with family and the scenery gave me a reason to love where I was. Their music is some of my very favorite. I especially love the "Emma's Hymns" cd as well- for obvious reasons!