Friday, March 13, 2009

And Spring Came . . . Then Went . . . Then Came Again

I love to watch for the little signs, in my garden, that a change of seasons is coming. I was delighted to see the first little yellow crocuses come peaking through a couple of weeks ago and the first of the tulips showing near one of my garden frogs. Aaahhh . . . sweet sunshine and the smell of the earth thawing and coming to life.


Then . . . BAM! Winter again! Crocuses, tulips and frogs all covered in snow again. The old jokes about Utah weather really are true. If you don't like the weather here in Utah, just wait fifteen minutes! I guess I'm the one who said I liked a little drama in my weather. I thought that this photo of a storm cell over Antelope Island was pretty dramatic looking



And just as quickly . . . Spring returned. I love my little yellow crocuses. They're just so darn happy looking and seem to be able to weather a lot of adversity. They make me smile every time I walk out my front door.

We were treated to a visit by Steve and Kalli during the last part of February. Kalli had an interview at BYU for acceptance to their master's of speech pathology program and Steve was able to interview with BYU's MBA program. They fit in a day of snowboarding at Brighton and dinner out with us at the Mandarin. Steve had to fly back to Arizona on Sunday afternoon and Kalli left on Monday afternoon after a shopping day in Park City with Rachel and me.

Kalli, looking like a million bucks and feeling a little nervous, on her way to the Y for her first ever interview for post-graduate schooling.
Steve, also looking very professional and sporting a BYU blue tie (every little bit helps), on his way to interview at the Y. He'd already interviewed with MIT in Boston and Northwestern in Chicago (actually he was able to interview in Arizona for the Chicago school) .
Waiting to get a table at the Mandarin. We managed to behave ourselves pretty well while we were waiting however . . . .
Things kind of went downhill from there . . . Scott and Rachel started it!

The rest of us followed suit. Steve, Brent and I went for a kind of space alien look (or perhaps some sort of crazed instects) while Kalli, Laura and Jordan were going for more of a walrus motif. Any suggestions for Scott and Rachel ? (other than don't use those same chopsticks to eat with!)

Here's the crew watching . . .


the BYU - Utah basketball game and feeling pretty happy because of . . .


this final score. Go Cougars!

3 comments:

The Walkers said...

Mom, you know I love your blog posts. If anything, keep them coming for me. I love your crocuses too. They make me smile every time I see them as well. Love you!

Mike and Erin Hale said...

Mom!!!!!! I love you soooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!! I love your flowers!!!!!!!!! They are the best!!!!!!!!!
I wish we could have been at the Manderin with you guys. I'm going to cream you in the basketball bracket. Can't hang with you in Iowa.

Shay said...

I love your post Sandra. You are the best. I am so sorry too hear about Kim Madsen. Guess it is going to be another year of deaths eh? :(

Love you!
<3: shayla