So, as if having your baby turn 21 isn't enough of a shock for the system, how about that baby announcing, straight out of the blue, that she's decided to serve an 18 month mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! That's right . . . my little Annie has turned in all the necessary paperwork and is awaiting her mission call. She told us on the evening of September 21st while we were all enjoying a leisurely dinner up in Park City. Brent's parents, Brent and I, Laura and Jordan and Lucy, Scott and Rachel, Annie . . . just eating and chatting and talking about this and that. So Annie, asks for our attention and tells us that she has an announcement to make. An announcement? What could Annie possibly be announcing? Maybe another semester abroad, perhaps a change of course at school? So she says, she's decided to change her course of study next semester (I knew it!) and I say something like, "you're changing your major?" and she pulls a "Preach My Gospel" manual out from behind her back and I'm STILL not getting it and I'm thinking "is she going to pursue Religious studies or perhaps teach Seminary" and then someone says "you're going on a mission?" and I just sit there in stunned silence (uncharacteristically speechless) with tears just kind of floating under my eyeballs trying to take in what she had just said. Holy cow. I didn't see it coming. She had already made all of her doctor and dentist appointments, she had her wisdom teeth out two years ago, she has a passport if she needs it, she had already spoken to our Bishop and had the whole process rolling. Then she told us. And eight days later, on Sept. 29th her interviews were over and her papers were officially turned in. And now we wait to see where Annie will be living and serving for eighteen months. She is very sure that this is what the Lord would like her to do at this time in her life and she's very settled and peaceful about it. I'm starting to get used to the idea and even a little excited for her. I haven't let myself think too much about how much I'm going to miss her.
So, speaking of Annie, at the end of August Brent and I had the awesome opportunity of hosting a Jerusalem Center reunion at Lake Powell for some of her Jerusalem buddies. We had so much fun boating, wake-boarding, skiing, tubing, water weenie-ing, eating, swimming, star-gazing, reading, talking, singing, slot canyoneering, and the list goes on. Most of them were Lake Powell Newbies but they caught onto life on the lake fast and became seasoned Lake Powellers in just a few days. We loved being with this group and felt sad when our time with them was over.
Jordan, Anne, Cameron, Stefanie and Valerie. Must be going into big waves . . . definite looks of concentration . . . Must . . . hang. . . on
Big smiles from Angie, Annie, Karly and Chris.
Brent lives for this. He loves to watch bodies flying in every direction off the water weenie!



7 comments:
I HAVE to comment on this! I can't believe Annie is 21! I remember back in the day, in the old Briarwood ward, when Annie would always bring her blankie to church...or wasn't it called her silky? It's just something I always remember about her...odd...i know. But it's one of those things that just stuck with me from my childhood. Ha ha. :)
Congrats to her! Can't wait to hear where she gets to serve.
I know. I can't believe that Annie is 21. Or that she is going on a mission for that matter. Hopefully that call doesn't come while you're in Canada!! Remember to say hi to everyone for me.
Oh. My. gosh. I have so much to say Sandra. First of all, I am a very excited for Annie, but mostly sad for me. She will be a FANTASTIC missionary :) And... Powell was AWESOME :) I was one of those newbies you referred to, and I definitely caught on to that lifestyle on the first day! That trip is one of my very favorites!!!
I don't go back with Annie as far as her silky - just 8 - and what a lot of growing up in 13 years. Love Annie to pieces and so excited to hear she's going on a mission. Big news - can't wait to hear where she's called! You're going to Canada again?! Wow, beautiful fall colors . . . home for you. Love to you and the kids, your dog, and Brent. Please don't live to 106 my friend. :-)
WOW! Congrats to Annie and all of you, that is so amazing. She will be a great missionary! WOW!! WOW!! And those pictrues in the sun looked so much fun. I hope you do live to be 106, you'll spread joy each day, and the world needs it. Love you!
So excited for Annie! We just love her so much!
Okay, as I read the post, when you talked about Brent's rendition of Happy Birthday that can only be experienced, I laughed to myself, remembering his "rendition" and the faces he makes with it. When i scrolled down and saw the picture, I laughed so hard I cried! (I cried, partly because it was so perfectly funny, and partly because I haven't seen him make that face in a LONG time. I miss you guys!)
Sandra! I loved this! And I am SO happy for Annie. You're making a big sacrifice letting your baby go but so many others are going to be so happy that you did! She will be amazing.
And I agree with Stef, Powell Hale-style was the trip of a lifetime. Thank you so much again! You guys are the best!
Post a Comment