Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Just Peachy

I have this secret desire to do a food blog especially after seeing the movie about Julia Child yesterday. However, I'm just not that organized or goal directed . . . if you start a food blog, people expect wonderful posts, you know? The following, however, is my nod at food blogging because I got the BIGGEST kick out of watching Brent help me to assemble a fresh peach dessert. I love to tease Brent about being just a little perfectionistic in his approach to life (towels stacked, just so , etc.) and watching him line up the peaches on the dessert was pretty funny.
When I took these photos, he said to me "You're just taking these photos so you can go on your blog and tell everyone how picky that I am, aren't you"!? I replied that I wouldn't do anything like that . . . I just wanted illustrations of how to make the dessert since I was going to post the recipe. I mostly told him the truth.

My peach of a husband, Brent, doing a fine job of peeling, slicing and arranging peaches. I just know that when this guy retires he's going to really get into cooking. And like everything else he does, he will do it well.


Ingredients for Dreamy Fresh Peach Dessert, except that I forgot to put a cube of butter in the picture. Drat! A REAL food blogger wouldn't make a rookie mistake like that!

Dreamy Fresh Peach Dessert

1 box Famous Amos vanilla sandwich cookies crushed into crumbs (can use any vanilla sandwich cookie but you may be messing with perfection)
1 cube of butter (room temperature)
2 large eggs
2 cups powdered sugar
several fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
1 pint whipping cream ( whip it and add sugar, vanilla and/or almond extract to taste)

Spread about 3/4 of the cookie crumbs around in a 13 by 9 pan. Beat the butter, eggs and powdered sugar together until fluffy. Now comes the tricky part . . . spreading that fluffy goodness over the crumbs in the pan. The easiest way to do this is to drop spoonsful all around the edges of the pan and some in the middle. Using a spreading knife, seal the fluff around the edges into the edges of the pan . . . once it's stuck to the pan it's easier to spread back towards the middle of the pan . . . capiche? If I were a real food blogger I'd have photos of this process but I'm NOT so I DON'T! Anyway, once you have the fluffy stuff spread over the crumbs, spread peaches as thickly as you'd like over the top. I usually just kind of spread 'em around

carefully (so as not to breach the fluff layer) but not necessarily in nice rows (that remark wasn't necessarily directed at anyone in particular). Beat the pint of whipping cream, sweetening and flavoring it as you'd like. Spread this all over the peaches (seems a shame to cover those nice straight rows) and then sprinkle the remaining crumbs over the whipped cream. Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours before serving. The peaches will not turn brown even if you have the dessert around for a few days because they're safely ensconced (is that the right word to use?) between layers of butter creamy goodness. My thanks to Barbara Ward for this recipe which came to me through her daughter Lindsey who gave the recipe to my daughter Laura who gave it to me because she LOVES peach dessert.

So speaking of peaches, for the first time in eight years my Elberta peach tree produced some very respectable fruit! I guess it helped that I pruned the tree a little this spring and that we didn't get any 100 mile an hour east winds through the wind tunnel where this tree is planted! Several of them ended up in the above peach dessert and they were so sweet and good. I have to admit to being very excited about my peaches this year . . . I make no apology.


Coming next in my blog . . . our Lake Powell reunion trip with some of Annie's Jerusalem Center buddies. There will be no recipes because I am NOT a food blogger. Bon Appetit!






7 comments:

The Walkers said...

MMMM.....I want some peach dessert. I just can't IMAGINE dad being perfectionistic about ANYTHING. How BIZARRE. ha ha. Mom, you know you are totally a food blogger. You need to just embrace it.

Haley Hale said...

Hey Sandra-I started a food blog for the Hale girls. So far, Janae, Janel, and Jillian are contributors. If you want us to add you, I will send an invitation to your gmail account. (You will have to email me your gmail address.) It is http://recipesfromhale.blogspot.com/.
I want to try your peach dessert since I have a freezer full of peaches that I don't know what to do with! (PS the Lemon Elbertas are my absolute favorite but no one seems to have them here...)

Jillian said...

Do I really count as a contributor if I haven't contributed anything? Some day I will get into cooking ... I just know it. Until then, I can give you directions to Wendy's! :)

patti said...

Keep the recipes coming!!!!

james said...

Hey Sandra, that dessert looks AWESOME!!! There's nothing like the delicious delights that come out of the Hale kitchen! Thanks for the notes on our blog. You're right the dates are funny. We changed the dates to when the activity occurred instead of when we posted it (trying to be sneaky and make people think we are actually true bloggers). There are many more posts to come about our fantastic summer and our many grand adventures. Can't wait for the next recipe.

Thanks,
James

Janel said...

Sandra! You always make me laugh. I can just envision the whole Brent episode in the kitchen...to funny. I would agree though Brent would make a great a cook. Ok, now I want to go buy a bunch of peaches and make this dessert. Anytime you have an urge to put a recipe up, go right ahead, anything coming from you will be tasty! I miss you guys, your great!

Hale-O There said...

To all who have yet to try this Peach Fluff Delight Dessert, it is to die for! It makes my mouth water thinking about it. If you love peaches like I do, then go make it. thanks sandra for the recipe;)