I'm so bummed that I can't figure out how to send photos from these internet cafes . . . one picture is certainly worth a MILLION words. We've been in New Zealand for three days. Flew into Queenstown and staying at a little lake resort town called Wanaka. Brent and Bob May started off on their five day Milford Sound trek yesterday, Brent with a sprained ankle (from a different hike and Bob with a terrible cold). It was pouring rain yesterday, when we dropped them off at the outfitters where their group was assembling. Today has finally cleared up with beautiful blue skies and warm sunshine but it's supposed to get nasty again for the next few days. The hike they're doing is a world class trek with stunning views but if it rains constantly, the views will be obscurred and they'll be hiking through knee deep water and mud. They knew this going into it but they are very much alike in that they're willing to experience a lot of pain and discomfort to experience shining, glorious moments. Which, I suppose, really suits them both for life on earth! Julie and I, on the other hand, are more suited to the comforts of a soft bed and a late lunch at a sidewalk cafe. To each his own, I say!
When I get home I'll fill in the pieces between my last post from Australia and this post. The town that Julie and I are staying in is very picturesque . . . very alpine. Lots of evergreen trees, beautiful snow-capped mountains, and clear blue lakes. We're very close to where "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy was filmed and we're contemplating driving our New Zealand rental car . . . wrong side of the car and wrong side of the road . . . to that place.
I don't have a lot of time on this computer but I have to tell you that I saw the Southern Cross constellation for the first time in my life, last night. You know? The Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young song? "When you see the Southern Cross for the first time . . . you understand, now, why you came this way . . ."? That song? I had googled "Southern Cross" so that I would know how to find this constellation (which is unviewable from the northern hemisphere) when I came here. Last night, the skies finally cleared and I stepped outside of our place into the dark night, not really expecting to see it, and JOY! There it was! Not shaped like a cross but rather like an upside down kite with an extra fifth star just inside. It's on the New Zealand flag. Near two bright stars (alpha centauri and beta centauri) that are the markers to let you know that you're not looking at one of the many "false crosses". I am a happy woman . . . I saw the Southern Cross for the first time. Til next time . . .
Bringin in the New Year with class
14 years ago



4 comments:
I'm in awe. Little do you say but oh so much do you pack into a paragraph! Hope you continue having a ball - kudos to the guys for adventuring through pain and rain, and I hope you two ladies play and spend money something fierce. Love ya, see you soon - we'll cuddle our grandchildren together. :)
That is awesome, did you somehow manage to get a picture of the constellation?
I love to hear about your adventures.
Just read your blog, for that last umpteen months. Love it and love you. Your life is truly an adventure. Thanks for the inspiration.
Laurita
Post a Comment