Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Merry Belated Christmas

Okay, so I had decided that I was going to just skip over Christmas this year and not drive myself crazy trying to catch up on a bunch of events that were weeks old history. Couldn't do it. Nope. Not on a year when my ENTIRE family was here for Christmas including the Minnesota Five (Mike, Erin and children Abbie, Landon and Noah) and the Boston Two (Steve and Kalli). So here are a bunch of photos, not in any particular order, of Christmas 2009 Hale style.

I believe that Abbie has the most incredible eyes that I've ever laid MY eyes on.
Merry Christmas, "Santa Baby"!

A Christmas tradition . . . the reading of "The Night Before Christmas". Papa really gets into it.
Settle down Papa, or you're going to fall off the couch!
That's more like it.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night! Abbie and Landon heading to bed before Santa gets there.
Landon and Abbie hanging out with a Christmas shepherd.

We took about a million pictures of these kids together in their Christmas p.j.'s . . . cameras flashing everywhere . . . a regular Christmas Eve paparazzi. They held in there pretty well but finally the photos started deteriorating into something more like . . .

this. Way to hang in there for the first few hundred thousand photos, you guys! From left to right are Noah, Abbie, Landon and Lucy.
Christmas morning . . . there must have been some chocolate in one of the those presents cause Calvin was unusually interested.
Abbie's birthday is on New Year's Eve but they were leaving a few days before that so we had an un-birthday on Dec. 26th with balloons, ice cream cake, cupcakes, pizza AND presents. Her guests included her Nana Natalie from Georgia, her Aunt Jenny from Texas, her Aunt Amy and Uncle Dan and cousins Andrew and Joseph and her Uncle Scott (McKasson) all from Salt Lake, and her Aunt Kalli and Uncle Steve from Boston. I can't remember which of the Hale/Walker clan were there that evening. It was a great party with lots of out of town guests!
Landon loved the ice cream cake . . . couldn't get it down fast enough with a spoon!

Landon with his Uncle Scott (McKasson). Landon has two uncles named Scott so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that Landon's middle name is . . . of course, Scott!

Abbie with her Aunt Jenny. These two are more than aunt and niece . . . they're great buds.

Papa and Landon on Christmas morning.
Aunt Rachel and Abbie playing some ping pong with Uncle Scott."I Love Lucy" in her fancy black coat!

The Walkers with Noah. Scott was very excited about the rifle that Rachel gave hime for Christmas. Careful Scotty . . . you might shoot your eye out (or some other essential body part).

Scott and Rachel and . . .

The Mike and Erin Hale family waiting to open their stuff.

Christmas Eve dinner . . . a brief wonderful moment in time when my entire family is around the dinner table.
We took the family go-carting one afternoon during the holidays. We did a girl's run and a guy's run and even though I was nervous, it turned out to be a lot of fun. I was surprised at how aggresive I became behind the wheel of a go-cart!

One of the Who's from Whoville, miss Lucy Lou Who!
What's better than reading Christmas picture books together?

It's a "niece" sandwich . . . Abbie between two aunts!

A familiar sight at our house around Christmas. I started making English toffee years ago from a fantastic recipe I got from a visiting teacher. A few years ago, Brent took over the toffee making and every year he makes it for people at his office and the people he goes home teaching to. He makes pans and pans of it. In this photo he's crumbling some toasted, flaked almonds over the melted chocolate on the hot toffee.

Abbie and Landon found a different use for some of the decorations that go on our big "department store" tree (as my kids call it).
Abbie and Landon chillin' with Aunt Annie and Uncle Steve in the papasan chair.

Abbie was my number one best helper to decorate the fresh tree downstairs. It's everyone's favorite tree, with all of the decorations that we've collected over 30 years.

Brent and I decorating the "department store tree". It's a pretty tree but OH is it a lot of work.

Abbie also helped us with the big tree. Thanks Abbie! So there you have it . . . Christmas 2009. Everyone (except me) did quite a bit of skiing and snowboarding over the holidays. For some cool photos of that, check out Rachel and Scott's blog. Til next time . . .

6 comments:

Bear of Very Little Brain said...

Oh Sandra, another look at our kiddos from your perspective and your camera lens. Another peek into Christmas . . . darling Lucy and every one of your own kids and their spouses, and amazing, awesome Brent. And you! Love the pic of you reading to the kids. Your home is a wonderful spot. Love you all, Nat

Hale-O There said...

That was so fun-did it really happen? It seems like the holidays were a dream of some sort. Thanks for all the sweet presents, we were definately spoiled.

love you

Mike and Erin Hale said...

Mom,

I love that donut around your neck in the go-cart picture. Christmas was a blast. Let's do it again sometime.

The Walkers said...

I'm so glad you posted about Christmas. Better late than never. You are on a serious blogging kick. You've done me proud kid. It was fun to look at all the pictures and remember all the fun we had. It makes me wish that everyone lived close to us. I love that picture you took of me and Lucy. It's one of the few that I like of myself since before I was pregnant.

Janel said...

I am so glad you didn't skip over Christmas, I love looking at all the pics! I love that you're getting caught up on your blogging. It looks like you and your family made lot's of wonderful memories together. I love your fam! My mom is with me and says hello. She's been a big help this last week. Anyway, thanks for all your sweet comments they make my day! We love you!!

Stefanie Elyse said...

What fun to see the holidays Hale style :) The go-carting sounded fun- and if I know anything about Hale women, I'm not surprised that you were confident behind the wheel! And, I loved seeing the pics of Annie- her letters are fun!