Friday, February 26, 2010

2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver . . . My Home and Native Land

O Canada

Oh Canada! Our home and native land,
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The true north strong and free
From far and wide, O Canada
We stand on guard for thee.
God make our land glorious and free
Oh Canada! We stand on guard for thee!
Oh Canada! We stand on guard for thee!
This is the first verse of the national anthem of the country where I was born and raised. It wasn't until I had lived in the U.S. for several years that I started to realize that Canada really did have an national identity and culture all of it's own. When I hear the anthem, it's truly and emotional experience for me . . . actually I can say the same of the American national anthem. I really am twice blessed to have lived in both of these great countries with all of their freedoms and opportunities.
We had tickets to a few of the Olympic events . . . men's halfpipe snowboarding finals, luge, ski jump qualifying rounds, women's SBX snowboarding, two hockey games and a couple of the victory celebrations where they awarded medals. We didn't all go to all of the events but we really had a great time getting into the winter Olympic spirit. Unfortunately, Lucy started getting sick, just before we left for Vancouver and by the time we got there, she had a full blown fevering, coughing, sneezing, stuffy virus. Laura and Jordan got their first taste of being up in the night with a miserable baby. Laura and I took turns on different days, staying back with the baby and everything worked out fine. Lucy started feeling better about half way through the week. I didn't mind staying back because it gave me more time to visit with mom and dad. On to the photos.
Laura and Jordan at the USA/Norway game. The USA shellacked the Norweigans 6-1. The Canadians were quick to point out that THEY beat the Norweigans 8-0. Whatever.

Getting pumped up for the USA/Norway hockey game!
My sister Elaine and her husband Len. They condescended to wave the American flag for the game.
My nephew Brian, Steve's wife Kalli, Brian's wife Michelle, Steve, Laura and Laura's husband, Jordan. Not sure where this was taken.
Not sure where these guys are from but they're definitely from SOMEWHERE! I'm thinking Norway.
More crazy Norweigans. The guy on the left looks pretty pickled. Come to think of it, they ALL do!
Face-off time. The guy on the right, Kesler, is from Michigan but actually plays for the Vancouver Canucks team. It was kind of weird to watch him score against the Canadians in the USA/Canada game. I had forgotten how much I love hockey, especially being in the arena. As a kid, I was just intrigued by the Zamboni, looping around the rink and leaving the ice smooth and shiny. I also loved the sound of the skates scraping on the ice and the sound of players slamming into the boards. I even enjoyed it when the gloves came off, sometimes, and the fists started flying. You've heard the song about being at the fights when a hockey game broke out?
This would be a rabid (and potentially dangerous) Swiss fan! I'm afraid if this guy got a skin-full and then got ticked off at you, he might gore you with his crazy helmet.

Laura and Jordan, my nephew Dave, my niece Erin and my niece-in-law Michelle. Michelle started a photography business this past year and does some great work. She posts a lot of her stuff on Facebook . . . I can't remember if she goes by Michelle Lepine photography or Michelle Cervo photography.
On our way to the luge event at Whistler. My sister Elaine, nephew Matthew, Brent and I.

It was a three hour bus ride from the hub up to Whistler but the scenery was gorgeous. Most of the ride was along the sea to sky highway. Ocean, mountains, forests . . . beautiful. I took this shot through the windshield of the bus.

My brother's son, Matthew chillin' up at Whistler village. It was a happening place.
Brent and me and Matthew by the Olympic rings. There were, like, fifty thousand people waiting to have their pictures taken here . . . you just had to get your elbows up and race in. It should be a new Olympic event . . . the five meter ring race.
Part of the luge track. We were sitting on bleachers fairly far back and when the sun went down we froze our butts off.
Brent with his "Binford 2000" camera. It really got stinking cold up at the luge event and for me turned into a kind of endurance test. I was just too cold to enjoy it. Brent, on the other hand, just had a jolly old time hiking up higher on the track and seeing how many cool photos he could get. The man could make a party out of a shipwreck. He just refuses to focus on his discomforts and he finds the fun and excitement in all situations. He drives me crazy! Why can't he just moan and whine like me, sometimes?
The gigantic screen that you watch most of the luge event on. These guys hit speeds of over 90 miles per hour, on sleds that have no steering or braking ability. Crazy. Towards the end of the run they streak across the part of the track that I have pictured above. A big cheer goes up from the frozen crowd at this point.

Brent was able to capture this luger with the Binford 2000 as he went streaking past our view.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my dad was doing bottle duty with Lucy. He's great with babies.
My mom and Lucy. They got to be pretty good pals while we were there.
I got a photo with Michelle and Brian just before we left.
My brother Mike, me, and my sister Elaine. Mike generally likes to stick out his tongue or make some other hideous face in photos so I considered myself lucky to get this one!
Steve and Kalli with Mom and Dad the night before we all left.
Four generations of women . . . me, my mom, Lucy and Laura.
Laura with Michelle and Brian. We had such a great time hanging out with our Canadian family.
We were shopping at the "The Bay" (modern name for the old Hudson's Bay Company) and came across this girl, who is one of the competitors in pairs figure skating. I'm not sure what her name is or how she and her partner did.
The Olympic caldron in downtown Vancouver. It's really impressive looking but it was completely surrounded by an ugly chain link fence. Duh. They spend a fortune on this thing and then make it non-photo friendly. Brent climbed up on some kind of cement post to get this shot.
The introduction of the players at the USA/Swiss hockey team. Brent and I all geared up and ready for the USA/Swiss hockey game.
That's it. Vancouver Olympics 2010. It was a great trip. Thanks Mom and Dad for letting us turn your place into a great B & B. Family, fun, food . . . it was all great. We love you!

3 comments:

Bear of Very Little Brain said...

Hey, it was fun going home, eh?! So glad to see your pics - you never don't have fabulous pictures - ooooh and great haircut, Sandra, love it - and though I loved the Olympics from my warm overstuffed couch near my fireplace, I'm sure you count as sitting in the cold at the luge one of the highlights of your life! Everyone seemed happy around you at the different events, including the dudes from Norway (truly pickled) and prob'ly those you elbowed out to get to the Olympic rings for a pic. I love you my Canadian friend! Glad you're home.

Hale-O There said...

love the pics! looks like so much fun. i like the last pic of you and brent, you look really cute. i wish i could've seen the norweigens in person. maybe i would've joined them, they look like a jolly and interesting crowd.

patti said...

Great pictures! Don't you love that Brent's new passion benefits you too? Who's going to complain about great family photos? I love looking through all of them...there's lots of familiar faces I see :)

I love keeping up on all the Hale adventures--keep blogging!