Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Minnesota Five (Abbie's baptism in particular)

First of all, let me just say that it's FREEZING here in Minnesota. Not just any kind of cold. I'm talking bone-chilling, mind-numbing, joint-aching, teeth-rattling cold. That kind of cold. The kind of cold that makes your nostrils collapse and stick to themselves! So what could possibly persuade Brent and I to come to Minnesota in February? Abbie's baptism, that's what! The first photo is the only one with me in it . . . just included it to prove that I was, indeed, present!
Landon has my ipod touch in this photo and he's playing a serious game of Angry Birds. Not sure what Angry Birds is? Bring an ipod touch into this household and you'll find out fast. I had to cough up ninety-nine cents for it because "we" needed to conquer extra levels!

Brent (beard left over from South America travels) with Landon. The little instrument of torture in Landon's hand is a wooden whistle that Brent bought in Argentina in a moment of insanity. The sliding stick takes an already ear-splitting sound and turns it into the alarm from hell. Oh yeah . . . big time.

Noah . . . face of an angel but absolutely full of it. Just got the cast off his arm from a tumble off the kitchen bench. Perpetual motion.
Landon seeing if steering Papa's ears will get him anywhere.
Abbie with her new notebook and binder. She preferred to have this, over a new toy. Growing up, she is.
A trip to the Aquarium . . . the most awesome display of jellyfish I've ever seen.
Also, an awesome display of seahorses.
Looking UP at the underside of a sawfish in an aquarium tunnel. Weird, eh?
Landon and Abbie playing with our ipods. Angry birds, Pocket Frogs, Moron Test, Fruit Ninja. You name it. They can play it . . . better than me. Embarrassing. This has been a common sight during this week. Morning of Baptism Day . . . Abbie had to go to her dance recital rehearsal first.
Oh my . . . has this girl grown up or what? All ready to head to the church.
Abbie with her little buddy, Noah.
Two little men and a lady. My heart is melting (even in Minnesota).
The whole family just before the baptismal service.
Abbie in her white baptismal jumpsuit with the flowers that Papa gave her for her baptism day.
Mike and Abbie in their whites. Hard to believe that we have a child that's old enough to have a child who's eight!
The classic father child pose on baptism day! I knew this would be a wonderful day but I had no idea how strongly I would feel the spirit there or how touched I would be. It was lovely to see my son in that font, with his daughter, performing that beautiful ordinance. Abbie seemed very happy and seemed to understand what it was that she was taking upon herself. Thanks for teaching her, Mike and Erin.
Food and fun afterwards. Sandwich fixings and custard filled cake . . . gotta love Costco!
Mike with some of his wardies, including his Bishop (in blue sweater).
Some sledding to round out the day . . . this looks like a scene from "Christmas Story". Hey Landon, can you put your arms down?
Ever cool Abbie. It was actually a "balmy" 34 degrees on this day!
The sledding team . . . ready to roll. I joined them for a few minutes . . . yes I did!
When you go sledding with the big boys (and girls) you have to lug your own saucer. Landon was a champ.
Ready, set!

Sunday morning in mom and dad's bed. Sadly, Abbie woke up in the night with a fever and body aches (diagnosed yesterday as strep) so her ward's newest member didn't get to go to church.
Sad ending to a very happy day!
The classic look of a Mike and Erin Hale family movie night! Heading home tomorrow . . . I'm going to miss the Minnesota Five . . . as always.

4 comments:

Mike and Erin Hale said...

Ok. Those are the WORST pictures of me ever!!! I'm glad for this post though. Guess I'll take one for the team. Loved having you here to celebrate with us! Love you.

The Walkers said...

Nice post. It's great to see what you did in Minnesota. Remember how we live together and I still haven't really talked to you in a long time. You guys planning on being home longer than two days this month?

Chrissy said...

That is so neat that you got to be there for such a special time. I know what you mean about the ipod games(?) When Josh and Elena were visiting I was blown away by the fact that my 2 year old nephew could operate it better than I could! :)

Hale-O There said...

I love all these fun pics! Sledding particularly sounds great about now. Erin- Abby's leg warmers turned out so cute!