Friday, March 18, 2011

What I love about March

March, how do I love thee . . . let me count the ways! I'll start with what I love about this particular march.
This is MY March baby, Scott. Born on the Ides of March, 28 years ago. If you look closely at his forearm, you'll see the footprint of HIS March baby, born three weeks early on March 16 this year. A sweet little baby girl . . . Adelaide. Six pounds three ounces, eighteen and a half inches long. Dark, curly hair. Note Scott's eyes . . . awe, fatigue, worry, relief, joy, love . . . I see all of it in those droopy eyes.
Adelaide had a little trouble getting her breathing regulated so she needed a little oxygen for the first twenty-four hours. It about drove Scott and Rachel crazy to not be able to have her in the room with them.
No one wants to see their baby all attached to tubes and wires but she perked up pretty fast.
Rachel, very tired and sore and absolutely besotted with her beautiful little daughter. We hung out in Rachel's room, for awhile, with her parents, Craig and Reva. Brent picked us up some Rubio's and we had a "birthday" picnic. I love sharing a grandchild's birth with the other grandparents. Maybe because I know, when they look at that baby, JUST how they feel about that baby!
Speaking of besotted!!! Adelaide Hale . . . off the oxygen and I.V. and doing great. Check out the lips, especially that curvy bottom lip. Deja vu, for me.
Now, as for March in general. I love . . . the budding Forsythia bushes.
I can't remember the name of these flowers but they don't seem to mind the cold. I love that our big maple tree starts budding out. I love a pot of chocolate gold coins. This pot has been pretty much wiped out. Is there anything happier looking than yellow crocuses?
One lone little purple crocus.
I think of eggs when the white crocuses with the bright yellow centers come up. I love putting this leprechaun on display in March. My good friend, Julie May, made it for me and I always think of her when I look at it.
More leprechauns. Can't have too many leprechauns in March.
I love sharing our annual St. Patrick's Day corned beef and cabbage with family and friends. This year Bob and Beth and family and Grandma and Grandpa Hale joined us. I can't take any credit for making the dinner this year . . . I had some surgery done last week so the meal was prepared by Laura, Brent and Jordan. It was delicious. Thanks you guys. Brent's parents have joined us for St. Patrick's dinner for many years. They served a mission together in Ireland (92-93) as did Brent (69-71). When Mom and Dad Hale finished their mission, we traveled to Ireland to pick them up and tour the island. It was an enchanting place. I'd love to go back. After we toured island for a week we flew to Israel together and did an eight day tour there. These are precious memories to me.
We started celebrating St. Patrick's Day when our kids were really little to teach them a little about Irish culture and to give Brent a chance to get out the old mission slides and tell stories about his mission. In other words, we took a perfectly Catholic sort of holiday and turned it into a Mormon missionary awareness day!
Scott and Rach at St. Patrick's dinner (we actually did it on the Sunday previous) before the baby was born. Brent found this little outfit while he was shopping for the corned beef and cabbage meal. What a guy, eh?
Our own little leprechaun, Lucy with her beautiful mom. They look great in green, don't you think?
Green, shamrock shaped jello jigglers! We love these around here.
Just add 2 1/2 cups hot water to two large pkgs. of lime jello, pour into a 9 x 13 pan and chill. Cut into shapes with small shamrock cookie cutter.
The greatest son-in-law in the world. If you look closely at the "pajama" pants you'll see leprechauns and the logo for Lucky Charms.

I also love the rain showers, the wind, the birds coming back from their winter journeys and the eagles circling overhead (sometimes dozens of them). I love the earthy, springy, alive smell in the air. And that's what I love about March.

7 comments:

Steve and Kalli said...

What a fun post. We are hosting a St. Patty's day dinner on Sunday and are very excited for the Irish food. We had a 70 degree day today and I honestly can't remember another time when I've been so elated to feel spring in the air! Love you

Elena Loo said...

Wow! What a fun tradition for St. Patrick's Day. That's cool that you are able to share it with so many people. REally any excuse to hang out with family is a good one! SO keep it up!

Chrissy said...

Love all the St. Patrick's celebrations, and congratulations on your new grand baby! Another great reason to celebrate in March. :)

Janel said...

Ahhh, I am so happy for Scott and Rachel! What an exciting time for them. Congrats on another grandchild!!!

The Walkers said...

I love all those things about March too. It's nice to see you get your blogging second wind back. Happy Spring!!

Hale-O There said...

I love your blog and have yet to meet a post that I didn't enjoy. This one especially was sweet- Thanks! Thanks for being at the hospital only days after your surgery and for all the dinners and support. We love you and am so glad that Adelaide has you for a grandmother.

xoxo

Haley Hale said...

I also love your March post!
Baby Adelaide is so pretty! It is hard to see the babies of the people that I love so dearly- not being able to hold and snuggle their little ones.
The flower that you said you can't remember the name of looks like helleborus (Lenten Rose). I love them! (The way they get their name is really neat if you ever feel like looking it up!)
And for what its worth, the only corned beef and cabbage that I have ever remotely liked was at your house.