Thursday, July 23, 2009

Lucy Jayne Walker is here!

Brent is pretty happy with his little pink-beanied granddaughter!


We have a beautiful new granddaughter, born July 20th by C-section, at about 8:30 in the evening. She was about three weeks early weighing in at 4 lbs. 11 oz. and measuring 18 inches long. Laura's doctor put her on bed rest about two weeks ago when he discovered (ultrasound) that the baby had pretty much stopped growing and that the amniotic fluid was very low. An additional concern was that the baby was in breach position and would be unlikely to turn on her own because of the low fluid level . . . she just didn't have enough room to swim into a better position! Laura's doctor wanted to give the baby as much time as possible to put on a little more fat but he was very concerned that she wasn't really thriving anymore. On Monday, July 20th, Laura went in for another check-up and a more thorough ultrasound and the doctor scheduled her for a July 22nd C-section. However, he called her after she got back home and told her that he'd gone over her chart and the results of the ultrasound and decided that the baby needed to be delivered immediately. Laura had picked up a chicken burrito on the way home from her appointment so she had to wait a few hours for her stomach to empty during which time they monitored the baby very carefully. There were several of us anxiously waiting during Laura's surgery . . . we expected that they'd wheel Laura in afterwards and that we'd have to go to the nursery to view the baby, since she wa so tiny. We were all just amazed and awed when Jordan walked into the room with his little baby doll cradled in his hand! She was tiny but doing very well. I think we all exhaled one big collective sigh of relief! I'm so excited to FINALLY have a local grandchild. I truly miss my three little ones in Minnesota. As of today, Laura is doing much better and the baby is doing very well. She's pretty sleepy but she's eating a little and loving being snuggled by mom and dad. Jordan and Laura are absolutely over the moon and completely in love with their little black haired daughter. Waiting for Lucy.

So happy to finally meet her little girl!


It's hard for tiny babies to maintain their body temperature so she's wearing her little pink beanie pretty much 24/7.

We had to take off the beanie to show off her dark hair and her pretty pink bow!

7 comments:

Steve and Kalli said...

Oh I love this little girl already. What a beautiful little baby. I can't wait until September!

Jillian said...

What a cute little girl! I'm so glad Laura & Lucy are doing so well. Congrats!

Chrissy said...

Congratulations Grandma! (and to Mom and Dad too, of course.) She is beautiful.

Dana said...

Congrats on the baby! She is adorable! And as a side note I"m totally mad at you and your husband! I saw on your previous post when you were driving from Arizona to Boston you were in Joplin MO, that is 1 hour away from us!!!! You should have stopped and let us feed you! Sigh.....maybe next time?

patti said...

I love tiny little babies...it reminds me of Lucas when he was born (minus the hair and olive skin). :)

She's dainty, beautiful, and perfect. Wow, what a gorgeous newborn. I'm so happy that she is here and healthy. I heard so many tragic stories when I was pregnant that it seems like miracle every time a baby makes it healthy and well. And truly it is a miracle.

I am so in love with my little Jane right now...there's just nothing better than these sweet little babies. Tell Laura and Jordan Hello and Congrats for me...and that I think their Lucy is gorgeous!

Jen said...

Congrats you guys! I especially love the pictures you got of when Laura is first holding her and then the very last one. She is such a beautiful newborn baby. Something that can't be said about every child since most come out looking alienish. :) I am just so happy everything went well and Laura and Lucy are happy and healthy. Can't wait to come home and see them both!

Elena Loo said...

congratulations!! She is beautiful! I bet you are loving having a new grand-baby. yay! What fun.