Today, August 17th is our 33rd wedding anniversary. Since I got married at the age of nineteen, I've been married for a whole lot longer than I was single! Like any married couple, Brent and I have definitely had our ups and downs but I can say that life with Brent has NEVER been ordinary! I've traveled places that I never thought I'd see (I was in Rome on my 40th birthday and Tahiti on my 50th), been trapped in a southern Utah slot canyon overnight and had to rappel 80 feet of canyon wall (frayed nylon rope wrapped around a sapling tree rooted in sandstone) to get OUT of that canyon, gone swimming with stingrays, hiked miles and miles of desert (often in the dark and with no idea where I was), spent time under a flipped raft in a class V rapid on the Lochsa River wondering if I'd ever break the surface and get another breath, been on an old tub of a houseboat that was sinking in the middle of Bullfrog Bay (mechanic forgot to put plug in pontoon) and had to jump from said houseboat into a rescue boat, traveled Ireland (where Brent went on his mission) and experienced the absolute magic of the place, walked where Jesus walked in Jerusalem and the list goes on. We've been through years of our marriage where we didn't know how we'd pay rent, month to month and years of abundance, we've built a house together and built a home together. Every time I've heard the words "Sandra, I've been thinking . . ." I've had to gather courage for whatever adventure is coming next! Brent was simply born in the wrong century . . . he really fits in best with the explorers like Christopher Columbus, John Wesley Powell, Lewis and Clark . . . you get the picture. I'm using the computer in his office to compose this blog and looking at the pictures on his wall of his treks up Kilamanjaro (Africa) and the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu (Peru) and realizing all over again how much his spirit longs to take flight to faraway places. Something new . . . something he hasn't seen before . . . something that challenges him and tests his grit. He has plans to climb Mt. Whitney and trek Milford Sound in New Zealand. I will never climb or trek any of these places because I don't vacation in places where I have to carry my own air or where, at the very least, I feel like I can't get enough air! I've often teased Brent that he's an eagle married to a chicken . . . he longs to soar on high currents while I'm content to scratch around on the ground and feather my nest. Brent is a "can do it" kind of guy while I'm a "are you sure you SHOULD DO IT kind of girl". Brent makes up his mind what he wants to do and then overcomes ALL obstacles to do that thing whereas I think about what I want to do and generally talk myself out of it as I CONSIDER the obstacles. We're so very different but somehow we've made it work for 33 years. I believe that I'm able to do what I do because of what he does and he's able to do what he does because of what I do. Perhaps I don't feel the need to go looking for adventure because living with Brent is a grand adventure in itself! We're not completely un-alike. We both love a good book, beautiful music, crazy cloud patterns in restless skies, being with family, road-tripping, sunsets, starry nights, quoting movie lines, good seafood, hanging out with good friends, walking in beautiful places, playing cards, camping (yes, I like to camp!), driving off road, wearing comfortable clothing and celebrating holidays of all kinds. Whatever our differences or similarities may be, I'm married to a world class husband, father and human being. Brent can think his way through any problem, fix ANYTHING that needs fixing, build anything that he wants to, admit mistakes when needed, offer a kind and listening ear, help with housework and homework, size up needs and offer assistance to family, friends and neighbors, plan GREAT trips, and the list goes on and on, of course. The truth is, I'm a much better person for being married to Brent. He's helped me to stretch and see the possibilities that lie within myself. He's helped me to face some of my fears and experience things I never dreamed of as a single person. He's provided for me, protected me and loved me all these years . . . loved me when I wasn't being particularly lovable. Happy Anniversary, Brent. I love you.

Engagement photo taken in a photo studio somewhere in the Santa Barbara, California area. Brent had recruited me (while we were at BYU) to his sales team to sell Illustrated Books of Mormon in California, where we were engaged on mother's day. To make a long story short, Brent came into my life as an FHE brother in a BYU ward and stole me away from the guy I was engaged to! When I broke my engagement just before the semester ended, I really hadn't admitted to myself that it had anything to do with Brent, so I didn't call him BUT my roommates did. The next day was Sunday. I was late for church and when I arrived there by myself, Brent was waiting outside the door for me, with a huge smile on his face. We had never held hands before (after all, I WAS engaged) but he held out his hand to me and I took it without a second thought. In that moment, I absolutely knew that I would marry him.

Cutting the cake at our reception at the Carillon Reception center in Bountiful. This is the building that was Seagull Book on 500 South in Bountiful. Since I wasn't a Davis County native and had not a clue about the geography of where my reception was, I didn't know for many years that the bookstore I was frequenting was where my wedding reception took place. I know this won't surprise any of my kids . . . I'm not well known for my powers of observation. We were married in the Salt Lake temple and I had a great picture of us at the temple that seems to have disappeared. Perhaps I'll find it tomorrow . . . too tired tonight!
7 comments:
Happy Anniversary Sandra and Brent. What a joy it is! Josh and I were talking big anniversaries in church cause we were talking about marriage. Its such an accomplishment to be married for a long time these days, so way to go! Thanks for being great examples of love and kindness to eachother and everyone around you. You are truly, wonderful people, and we are so glad we know you. I hope you have a great celebration! you deserve it. That was a really sweet post, Sandra. You said it so well. Congrats you guys!
Hey mom that was a great post! Congratulations on 33 years! That is pretty awesome. I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks!
Oh wowee wowee! This is a mile marker anniversary AND post, Sandra. Both good and long! How I admire you TWO. Love you both, love your expressions and real time examples and charisma and generosity. Sorry about the being trapped thing - multiple times - that's not my gig either. Better you, he he, than me. DO so much love you and hope you have a great week! Nat
Happy Anniversary! I loved that post too. You did marry a pretty great guy, and he married a pretty great girl. Ammon & I think the world of both of you. Love ya!
I love this! You should print this out and have it your journal too...it's perfect. What a great life you two have built together. It's so great to hear and see success stories. Had I done your wedding video 33 years ago I wonder what my prediction would've been? :)
Mom, your post made me cry. I love that picture of you and dad. I think I'm the luckiest girl in the world to have you as parents. Thanks for doing what it takes to make a marriage work. I hope Jordan and I can have a great 33 years too. Love you.
What a beautiful post, Sandra. From one child bride to another, we did alright... when we were certainly too young to know much. Happy anniversary. (We celebrated number 27 yesterday. Unbelievable)
Post a Comment