Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Halloween from Hale and Golden Autumn Days

How I love the fall . . . gorgeous fall foliage, cooler temperatures, apple pies, carmel apples, fall walks, the smell of wood smoke, Halloween, pumpkins, MY birthday (as well as Landon, Rachel, Annie, Jordan, Kalli, Noah and Laura's birthdays) , Thanksgiving (my family would add BYU football) . . . all of it! It never seems to last long enough. Even the air seems to take on a golden softness that's a nice break from the bright white heat of summer air. I know that autumn doesn't officially end until about December 21st but the truth is that winter generally chases the fall away by December 1st. I watched winter blow in today (November 22) and I quietly bid goodbye to golden autumn days for another year. Oh, the drama of it all! What's left are some photos and some great memories. Annual trip to Pack's pumpkin farm in west Farmington to find our perfect pumpkins. If you haven't tried this place out, and especially if you have little ones, make sure you give it a go next year . . . a hay maze for little kids, a corn maze, a talking mannequin, squash of every kind and lots and lots of pumpkins. It's straight west on Glover Lane. You just grab a cart, head out into the field and load 'er up. Tall ones, skinny ones, fat ones, lumpy ones . . . so many pumpkins!

First ya cut the top off, then ya rip the guts out . . .

We take our pumpkin carving very seriously around here . . .

You know that Brent is getting down to business when he pulls out the power tools and his trusty head lamp!


The afternoon's work results in some dancing ghosts . . .
A great looking witch with nice curvy cheekbones . . .
An evil looking spider . . .
A crabby werewolf . . . (maybe I've misjudged him and he's just sneezing)

and a huge, hungry looking tiger. The tiger was carved by Scott. As per tradition, Scott chooses a pumpkin pattern every year with an insane amount of intricate carving that usually takes him three plus hours. The results are always awesome.
Another Hale Halloween tradition . . . dry ice rootbeer. We love to watch that white mist spill out of the big, black caldron and then float across the countertop.

On the afternoon that we carved pumpkins, the sky was kind of overcast with low clouds. When the sun dropped below the clouds and for a few minutes before it dropped behind the horizon it spilled liquid gold all over the valley and up onto the hillside. It was like the entire landscape was bathed in the last golden rays of the day . . . so beautiful. Brent went out to capture the effect on his Binford 2000 camera and I went out to capture Brent capturing the effect (on my NOT Binford 2000 camera).
On Halloween night, after the trick or treaters had come and gone, Scott and Rachel invited us over for their first annual carmel apple party. They had apples on sticks, a big pot of carmel and nuts, coconut and chocolate to finish them off. Carmel apples . . . yeah.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I celebrate my birthday NOT just for a day but for a week or more . . . a birthday season if you will. Milk it for all it's worth, that's my philosophy. Luckily my friends and family are willing to indulge this "birthday prima donna" attitude. Thanks to everyone who sent me birthday wishes (cards, facebook, etc.), took me to lunch, baked me birthday cakes, gave me gifts and in general treated me like the "birthday queen". I love you all. (I'd love you all even if you didn't indulge me on my birthday, but don't let that stop you next year, okay?).

Celebrating with my family. Lovin' being with the ones who live close by . . . missin' the ones who don't.
Laura and sibs and friends celebrating her birthday. I try not to overlap Laura's birthday with my birthday season but sometimes it just can't be helped. While Laura was at work on her birthday, my friend Jeannie took me to lunch and to see New Moon! Ninner, ninner, Laura. I saw New Moon before you!
Oh yeah . . . I got David Archuleta's new Christmas C.D. for MY birthday, mother dear. Ninner, ninner right back at ya!
So, to end this autumn blog post, here's a photo of our big aspen trees taken on
November 11th . . .
And here are the same trees today, November 22. Goodbye golden autumn . . . hello silver winter.

3 comments:

Steve and Kalli said...

Oh I loved this post. It made me miss you guys so much. I'm thinking about packing up our apartment right now and moving! Just playing-- but seriously, we miss you and can't to spend Christmas in Utah!

Stefanie Elyse said...

Annie is a cutie with those pumpkins. And Brent is FUN-NY with that power drill. And, that pic of you two is the cutest!!! It should go in a time capsule. Or maybe just a scrapbook :)

The Walkers said...

How dare you ninner ninner me about working on my birthday. New Moon blows. Okay, I still want to see it.