Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving to all who browse my blog

All of you who know me well, know that I love decorating for holidays. Note that I didn't say "The Holidays" which refers pretty much to Thanksgiving through New Year's Day. I mean ALL holidays including Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, the patriotic and state holidays, Halloween, etc. At best, it's a hobby (like some people quilt or do needlework . . . I hang festive looking doo-dads all over my house). At worst it's a sickness . . . an obsession. However you choose to look at it, it's what I do. I think my favorite decorations (oh my . . . it's like choosing between my children) would have to be the Thanksgiving decorations which include all my fall stuff plus Pilgrims, Native Americans (Indian isn't P.C. anymore) and turkeys (the above turkey was painted for me by good friend, Laura).
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays . . . it asks so little and gives so much. The aroma of roast turkey wafting through the air, a brisk Thanksgiving day walk, maybe watching my kids play in a turkey bowl, playing card games, eating insane amounts of delicous food including my favorite . . . pumpkin pie, sleeping in the next day (I do NOT get up early to shop) and just enjoying a four day week-end. Anyway, however you celebrate it, I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving.
My good friend Julie made these pilgrims for me, for my birthday a few years back. I love them and hate putting them away after Thanksgiving Day. I'll end with a poem that gets circulated a lot during the Thanksgiving season. Gobble 'til you wobble!

May your stuffing be tasty,
May your turkey be plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!

3 comments:

Hale-O There said...

so you decided which decoration you like the best; and chosen a favorite child? No worries,
you're secret is safe with me, he's my favorite too!

ps I love your flags that hang in your windows during July.
pss and your snowmen

Haley Hale said...

Thank you for posting pictures of your decorated house. I miss coming to your house, especially during "The Holidays," and all your wonderful decorations! Hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving! (Please post pictures once you have decorated for Christmas...so I won't feel like I am totally missing it all!)

The Walkers said...

I think the holiday decorating sickness is hereditary....and I'm infected!!! Oh well, decorating for holidays breaks up the monotony of every day life. Hope you're having fun in Sydney. I envy you.