Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy 60th Birthday Brent!

Not everyone who was a teen-ager in the 60's was a hippy . . . just look at this clean cut (pretty much) All American boy!
Okay . . . it really doesn't get much cuter than this!

Today, if you'll bear with me I'm doing kind of a "rerun" post with a few modifications . . . one that I did last year for our 33rd wedding anniversary only this isn't for our anniversary . . . Today, June 19th is BRENT'S 60th BIRTHDAY! That's right . . . the big six - oh. I tried to come up with something new and original because, after all, a guy doesn't turn sixty every day. But the truth is, I think the old post pretty much captures it so here it is . . . deja vu!
I've been married to Brent for almost 34 of those years. Like any married couple, Brent and I have definitely had our ups and downs but I can say that life with Brent has NEVER been ordinary! I've traveled places that I never thought I'd see (I was in Rome on my 40th birthday and Tahiti on my 50th), been trapped in a southern Utah slot canyon overnight and had to rappel 80 feet of canyon wall (frayed nylon rope wrapped around a sapling tree rooted in sandstone) to get OUT of that canyon, gone swimming with stingrays, hiked miles and miles of desert (often in the dark and with no idea where I was), spent time under a flipped raft in a class V rapid on the Lochsa River wondering if I'd ever break the surface and get another breath, been on an old tub of a houseboat that was sinking in the middle of Bullfrog Bay (mechanic forgot to put plug in pontoon) and had to jump from said houseboat into a rescue boat, traveled Ireland (where Brent went on his mission) and experienced the absolute magic of the place, walked where Jesus walked in Jerusalem and the list goes on. We've been through years of our marriage where we didn't know how we'd pay rent, month to month and years of abundance, we've built a house together and built a home together. Every time I've heard the words "Sandra, I've been thinking . . ." I've had to gather courage for whatever adventure is coming next! Brent was simply born in the wrong century . . . he really fits in best with the explorers like Christopher Columbus, John Wesley Powell, Lewis and Clark . . . you get the picture. I'm using the computer in his office to compose this blog and looking at the pictures on his wall of his treks up Kilamanjaro (Africa) and the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu (Peru) and realizing all over again how much his spirit longs to take flight to faraway places. Something new . . . something he hasn't seen before . . . something that challenges him and tests his grit. He has plans to climb Mt. Whitney and trek Milford Sound in New Zealand. I will never climb or trek any of these places because I don't vacation in places where I have to carry my own air or where, at the very least, I feel like I can't get enough air! I've often teased Brent that he's an eagle married to a chicken . . . he longs to soar on high currents while I'm content to scratch around on the ground and feather my nest. Brent is a "can do it" kind of guy while I'm a "are you sure you SHOULD DO IT kind of girl". Brent makes up his mind what he wants to do and then overcomes ALL obstacles to do that thing whereas I think about what I want to do and generally talk myself out of it as I CONSIDER the obstacles. We're so very different but somehow we've made it work for almost 34 years. I believe that I'm able to do what I do because of what he does and he's able to do what he does because of what I do. Perhaps I don't feel the need to go looking for adventure because living with Brent is a grand adventure in itself! We're not completely un-alike. We both love a good book, beautiful music, crazy cloud patterns in restless skies, being with family, road-tripping, sunsets, starry nights, quoting movie lines, good seafood, hanging out with good friends, walking in beautiful places, playing cards, camping (yes, I like to camp!), driving off road, wearing comfortable clothing and celebrating holidays of all kinds. Whatever our differences or similarities may be, I'm married to a world class husband, father and human being. Brent can think his way through any problem, fix ANYTHING that needs fixing, build anything that he wants to, admit mistakes when needed, offer a kind and listening ear, help with housework and homework, size up needs and offer assistance to family, friends and neighbors, plan GREAT trips, and the list goes on and on, of course. The truth is, I'm a much better person for being married to Brent. He's helped me to stretch and see the possibilities that lie within myself. He's helped me to face some of my fears and experience things I never dreamed of as a single person. He's provided for me, protected me and loved me all these years . . . loved me when I wasn't being particularly lovable. Brent Hale is among the best of men in this world. Happy 60th Birthday Brent. I love you. Oh . . . and while I'm thinking about it, I want to reassure you that turning 60 really isn't so bad . . . but then again, how in the world would I know??!!!

2 comments:

Stefanie Hathaway said...

You are just TOOO much! Just when i think i have you figured out, you come up with more :) I read excerpts of your post to Scott and we had some GOOD LAUGHS seeing the similarities in ourselves! And, seeing what kind of predicaments Brent has gotten you into- I'm surprised you've come out alive! Annie's note to Brent was cute too- looks like everyone is on the Brent bandwagon, including me!

Dana said...

Happy Birthday Brent! I love that he has a zest for life, I can totally see why you love him! Keeps you on your toes and seems to have a very good perspective on life. I miss playing cards at your house, and talking we really need to come out there and visit!