At 11:30 AM on August 19th, the doorbell rang and we were introduced, by our bishop, to two of the nicest men I've ever met, Gerard and Laurent. A third member of the crew, Gregory (the official camera man), was stuck in the Washington D.C. airport in terrible weather, and he didn't join us until the next day. Laurent, who is actually the director, took over the camera duties that day. Gerard (pictured below) was the host of the show and did all of the interviewing and questioning. The itinerary went like this:
1. Introductions and initial interviews with family members
2. Lunch with our family and then more chatting and interviewing
3. A run up to the Bountiful temple grounds to interview Andrea (recently returned from mission) about her mission, her faith and her feelings about the temple
4. A run into Salt Lake City to tour temple square and the conference center. Our family actually didn't participate in this . . . our bishop took them around these Salt Lake landmarks.
5. A quick trip back to Bountiful to do a little filming at a huge young single adult dance. Brent and I work with the young single adults in a ward in Farmington as well as the stake that takes in that ward and the crew wanted to see what was involved in our particular church callings.
6. A trip to Antelope Island (on Saturday morning) to film the Great Salt Lake and to see the buffalo herds. Just Brent, Annie and I went with them for this little excursion.
After we spent some time on Antelope, our new French friends went on their way to Moab with our promise that we would meet them the following afternoon at Lake Powell. Which we did. Took our good friend Bob May with us to help with backing up boat trailers, driving the house boat, maneuvering both boats, etc. I'm not great at any of these things and none of our kids could come down. Thanks Bob . . . we couldn't have done it without you . . . really.
We took them out for a late afternoon and early evening cruise on the houseboat that evening and then the next day, took Laurent and Gregory (Gerard had to stay back at the hotel to do some phone business) for a trip on the speedboat to Escalante river arm. They were hesitant to go that far because they were on such a tight schedule but once we got them to Escalante, they didn't want to leave. We had to remind them of the time and keep THEM on schedule! We have no photos from that day which is something like tragic because I've never seen Lake Powell (in the 35 years that I've been going there) looking so magically beautiful. We went into a serpentine canyon called fifty-mile canyon and the water was so still and reflective that you couldn't tell where the soaring red rock walls ended and the water began. Surreal. It looked as though we might drop into the reflection and fly down to the reflected blue sky. I heard audible gasps from our film crew (actually, maybe that was me) as the ripples sent out by our boat, together with the perfectly angled rays of sun shining down into the canyon, created a massive light show on a natural rock amphitheater as we came around a bend. Magical. Time for a cooling dip in that deep green, 84 degree, Lake Powell water. Mmmmmm. Enchanting. Refreshing. I wish I was there right now. Carried away, I am. All the while that we were on this little trip, Laurent was asking us questions, once again about family, faith and life in general. We asked him a few questions of our own. We were genuinely sad to part company with these guys when it was time for them to move on to Kaneville, where they would be spending time with a guy who does organic farming on the Kaneville badlands.
We don't know how much of the time that we spent with the French film crew will actually be depicted in their show. They still had stops to make at the major national parks, etc. and most of the film will end up on the cutting room floor. It's okay. We had a grand time with Gerard, Laurent and Gregory and won't be soon forgetting them. 'Til next time . . .



4 comments:
It was so great to have those Frenchmen in our home. I was surprised by how friendly and genuine they were. Thanks for blogging about this.
That is so cool! When can we watch it???
Wow this is amazing! I feel like I'm related to someone famous! I had no idea you guys led such an exciting life! I love your blog and learning more about you guys!
You do a great job--keep it up!!!
What a neat experience for your family! And how lucky for the Frenchmen that you were picked to be interviewed and just happened to be the best guides for the Lake Powell area. :)
Post a Comment