Saturday, September 17, 2011

Why I'm wearing purple today

Mike and Steve just arriving from Denver for the BIG GAME.

We've had season tickets to the BYU football games for years . . . like, thirty plus years. When I was single and attending BYU I went to all the games and actually (for all my older readers who know what I'm talking about) I had CARD STUNT tickets! Great seats, and all that was required of me was to participate in the card stunt at half time. I never had a problem with having a date to the games! Brent and I had fun going to the football games before we had kids and I even went to a few after we started having kids but somehow dragging a couple of toddlers and a nursing baby to a football game just made the whole experience lose it's shine. I got out of the habit of going and the kids became rabid fans along with their dad as they got older. I attend a game occasionally but spending four plus hours in traffic and sitting through 3-4 hours of football (just doesn't move as fast as hockey) isn't my idea of a swell time. I do, however, love the fact that Brent and the kids love it and have so much fun together when they go. I don't begrudge them one minute of that time together . . . I just do other things and enjoy my time at the house by myself (well, actually, Lucy is keeping me company today).
Once in awhile, like I said, I'll attend a game just to hang out with the fam, but I DO NOT under any circumstances attend the BYU UTAH game. What was once a fun rivalry has become so intensely mean-spirited that I'm just happy to see the day come and go. I don't truly understand how otherwise nice people, turn into such morons over a football game. So today, I'll just wear purple and hang out with Lucy and hope that my family has a great time one way or the other!

This is what happens when I tell them that I just want to take a couple of candid photos. Sigh.
A gentlemen's game of croquet. Make no mistake . . . these croquet games are extremely competitive. As are their games of ping pong, pool, air hockey, cards . . .
Mike telling a story about Landon handing Erin a dead squirrel while we were having lunch at El Matador before they left for the game. Classic story. Never fails to please.
Ready to roll out to Provo. I don't really care whether the Cougars or the Utes win, EXCEPT for the fact that it affects the mood of my ENTIRE family. So for that reason I guess I just have to say GO COUGARS!!!!!! Til next time . . .

1 comment:

JD and Elena said...

Oh, man! Now knowing the results of the game, hopefully their ego's aren't hurt too bad :)
Good choice with the purple.